Thursday, May 5, 2011

Intro (for lack of a better title)

Well, I am officially almost a graduate of Brandeis University.
And I'm terrified. I will be receiving my BA in Anthropology, with a focus on Physical Anthropology, in 17 days. After 4 years of struggling to find my identity and my major I'm arriving at the end of a journey with no real idea about what comes after.
Oh sure, I had plans. I applied to 5 graduate programs, 4/5 were biological anthropology and 1 was forensic anthropology and so far am 0/4 for acceptance with one still having no response. Very uplifting. Probably because I only applied for Masters programs but also needed financial aid. It bothered me more that I wasn't qualified over the fact that I didn't get into the programs. Probably because I realized after going to Boston University's open house that Forensic Anthropology is really where my passion lies, at least, I think.
Flashback: First day of Human Osteology, Spring 2010 Semester with my favorite Professor and one of the most important people I'd met at Brandeis a PhD student and TA. I only got into the class because I was an Anth major and a junior, which meant I got priority. I walked in was immediately drawn to the human bones that were part of our rather tiny collection at Brandeis. I loved learning about the bones, I wasn't all that great at memorizing every feature on the bones but somehow I was good at identifying, siding, sexing and aging bones. While people were struggling to glances through notes to identify tiny pieces I just looked and then ran through all the images in my brain until I found where that piece would best fit. Which is odd...because I suck at puzzles.
Flashforward: I've now called BU twice and emailed them and have gotten no response about my application. I'll call again tomorrow but it's frustrating because I've called at different times of the day and still gone to voicemail. I think the woman takes a long lunch and leaves early or something. I've left my name and number but don't really expect to hear back anytime soon.
If I thought going to college was nervewracking, I had no idea that life after college was going to be just a jump into the deep end of adulthood. And I don't know if I can swim that well.

No comments:

Post a Comment